Copyright protection for your design
Obtain exclusivity for your design through copyright protection
SUMMARY OF DESIGN AND COPYRIGHT SERVICES
- Advice on registrability of designs including arrangement of pre-filing searches.
- Filing for applications for registered designs in the UK and European Community.
- Advice on existence of copyright and unregistered design rights in the UK and European Community.
- Advice on steps required to secure and record copyright and unregistered design rights in relation to clients’ product drawings and marketing literature.
- Enforcement of our clients’ registered and unregistered design rights and copyright against infringers and defending our clients when accused of infringement of other parties’ rights.
- Ability to instruct associates worldwide in filing and enforcement of design and copyrights overseas and in defending allegations of infringement of copyright and design rights overseas.
- Advice on licensing and other forms of commercial exploitation
How does design and copyright protection work?
Legal protection for the shape and appearance of industrially produced articles is a complex field, but essentially is provided for by registered and unregistered design rights and, in a more limited way, by copyright.
Law changes have introduced EU-wide registered and unregistered design rights to complement the similar national rights already available in each individual EU country. Copyright protection remains available under individual national laws.